To pay homage to the late Fernando Poe's acting brilliance and contribution to the Philippine movie industry, Cinema One will be featuring one of his biggest movies titled Ang Panday on November 25, Sunday on the "Hari ng Pinoy Cinema" block at 11AM.
Years might have passed but FPJ's Ang Panday movie remains to be an iconic film adventure that every Filipino family can enjoy. Before you watch its restored version on Cinema One this Sunday, check out these fun facts about Ang Panday:
1. The Ang Panday original film series was composed of four films - Ang Panday ("The Blacksmith", 1980), Pagbabalik ng Panday ("The Return of the Blacksmith", 1981), Ang Panday: Ikatlong Yugto ("The Blacksmith: The Third Act", 1982), and Ang Panday IV: Ikaapat na Aklat ("The Blacksmith IV: The Fourth Book", 1984). Fernando Poe Jr. starred in all these movies as the title character.
2. The comics version of "Ang Panday" was created by writer Carlo Carlo J. Caparas and artist Steve Gan. The comics series was published 1970s.
3. Shooting for the Ang Panday happened in in Ilocos Norte. With its stunning sand dunes, the place was the perfect setting for the adventure-filled movie.
4. Ang Panday won awards and received nomination including Best Child actor for Bentor Jr. at the FAMS awards in 1981 and Best Music at the Metro Manila Film Festival in 1980. Lito Anzures was nominted as Best Supporting Actor and the movie was nominated for Best Story at the FAMAS awards.
5. Ang Panday lead star Fernando Poe Jr. is not only an actor. He used to be a director too. He made around 30 films movies under pseudonym Ronwaldo Reyes from 1973 to 2002. The last name Reyes originated from the surname of his paternal grandmother, Martha. Meanwhile he made more than 10 films as director D'Lanor from 1966 to 1972. The last name Reyes originated from the surname of his paternal grandmother, Martha.